EMBOSS is "The European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite". EMBOSS is a free Open Source software analysis package specially developed for the needs of the molecular biology (e.g. EMBnet) user community. The software automatically copes with data in a variety of formats and even allows transparent retrieval of sequence data from the web. Also, as extensive libraries are provided with the package, it is a platform to allow other scientists to develop and release software in true open source spirit. EMBOSS also integrates a range of currently available packages and tools for sequence analysis into a seamless whole.
Within EMBOSS you will find around hundreds of programs (applications) covering areas such as:
- Sequence alignment,
- Rapid database searching with sequence patterns,
- Protein motif identification, including domain analysis,
- Nucleotide sequence pattern analysis---for example to identify CpG islands or repeats,
- Codon usage analysis for small genomes,
- Rapid identification of sequence patterns in large scale sequence sets,
- Presentation tools for publication
Availability & Restrictions
The EMBOSS software package is available without restriction for all academic OSC users.
The following versions of EMBOSS are available on OSC systems:
For the Oakley system, run the following command:
module load emboss
The EMBOSS programs are typically used to perform one or more tasks on a large number of sequences. Once the emboss module is loaded, all emboss commands are available for your use.