Blue Waters Graduate Fellowships provide PhD students with a year of support, including a $38,000 stipend, up to $12,000 in tuition allowance, an allocation on the powerful Blue Waters petascale computing system, and funds to support travel to a Blue Waters-sponsored symposium.
Application deadline: February 2, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. pacific time
For the Fellowships, preference will be given to candidates engaged in a multidisciplinary research project that combines disciplines such as computer science, applied mathematics, and computational science applications. Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. by the time of the application deadline. Applications will be evaluated based on:
Related experience and service
Research plan and its relationship to use of the Blue Waters supercomputer
Letters of reference
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
The fellowship application requires:
- A project title
- An abstract (max 750 characters) of your proposed project.
- A personal statement (max 5500 characters) concerning your career goals and experience. This is limited to text but you can upload ancillary illustrations or references as a separate file.
- A research statement (max 5500 characters) defining your research topic and its uses for the Blue Waters allocation. This is also limited to text but allows you to upload ancillary illustrations or references to accompany the statement.
- Uploading of unofficial transcripts from both undergraduate and graduate institutions.
- Contact and optional demographic information.
- Relevant information on education, experience, GRE test scores, and academic activities.
- Three or four reference letters to be separately submitted by your references. Your references will be contacted at the email addresses you submit in this online application with instructions on how to submit their letters. Reference letters are required from your PhD advisor and the chair of your home department. The additional letters can be from anyone who can address your capabilities and ability to carry out the proposed research program and the potential impact you will have in your career. References letters must be submitted by your references by 11:59 p.m. (pacific time) February 9, 2018.
You will need to upload all of these materials in a single session so you should prepare them offline before you start the application process. Other information and a frequently asked questions list can be found on the Blue Waters education site: https://bluewaters.ncsa.illinois.edu/graduate-fellowships-faq
Note: For fields with maximum character limits, all characters count toward the limit, including spaces and punctuation. You can use an online character count tool to verify.
Other questions can be directed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org