Ohio Supercomputer Center
A downtime for OSC HPC systems is scheduled from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Tuesday, December 13, 2022. The downtime will affect the Pitzer, Owens and Ascend Clusters, web portals, and HPC file servers. MyOSC (the client portal) and state-wide licenses will be available during the downtime.
In preparation for the downtime, the batch scheduler will not start jobs that cannot be completed before 7 a.m., December 13, 2022. Jobs that are not started on clusters will be held until after the downtime and then started once the system is returned to production status.
Highlights of the downtime activities include:
- Transition to new upstream identity management servers
- MOFED upgraded from 4.9 to 5.6
- GPFS upgraded from 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11
- Regular systems maintenance including hardware, software, and network
- Clean up scratch data due to ESS migrations
- Replacement of a cooling distribution unit in Pitzer
Beginning Monday, December 12, 2022, at 7 a.m., OSC will be taking the 40-core Pitzer nodes offline to replace the liquid cooling unit. We anticipate this work may take until Friday, December 16 to complete. Given uncertainties about the time necessary to complete this work, OSC engineers opted to begin this work before the December 13 downtime to increase the likelihood of the nodes returning online before the following weekend and to minimize the total outage. We are working with our vendors to reduce the outage duration as much as possible.