Globus Connect Server allows OSC users to share data with their collaborators who do not have OSC HPC account (the collaborator needs to sign up for a free Globus account though). The advantage of data sharing via Globus is that you do not have to move your data in order to share it. You can select directory paths to be securely shared with your collaborator, and grant them read-only or read-write access.
Sharing data with collaborators
- Login to Globus. If your institution does not have an organizational login, you may choose to either Sign in with Google or Sign in with ORCiD iD
- Map your OSC credentials to your Globus account following this page if you haven't done this before. Select 'Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC)' as the identity provider from the list. You will be redirected to the page below. Provide your OSC HPC credentials:
- Navigate to the "ENDPOINTS" on the sidebar. Enter 'OSC Globus Connect Server' in the search box to search all the endpointss managed by OSC as below:
|OSC's home directory||OSC $HOME|
|OSC's project directory||OSC /fs/project|
|OSC's scratch directory||OSC /fs/scratch|
|OSC's ess storage||OSC /fs/ess|
|AWS S3 storage||OSC S3|
- Choose the endpoint where you want to share the data. You will be redirected to the overview page of this endpoint. Click the 'Collections' menu. You will see all of the collections added under this endpoint before. To add a new collection, click 'Add a Collection'.
- Create a guest collection. (Note: the default path will be $HOME for home directory, /fs/project for project filesystem, /fs/scratch for scratch filesystem, and /fs/ess for ess storage. You can change to a more specific directory by providing the path in ‘Directory’). Click 'Create Collection' to finish the creation.arcum
- Navigate to the "File Manager" on the sidebar. Select the view to be one-panel by switching the icon beside "Panels" on the top-right of the page
- Enter the collection you want to share by clicking 'select a collection':
- Click 'Your Collections' to choose the right collection
- Click 'Share' button in the right side pane
- To share with your collaborators, click 'Add Permissions - Share With'. You can specify the directory you want to share, choose to share with users by selecting their email address or Globus username, or share with a group or all Globus users or everyone. You can also select 'Send Email' to send email to your collaborator. If you want your collaborator to also be able to transfer data into the directory, you can also provide write access by checking the 'write' button. Once the options have been selected, click 'Add Permission'. You should be redirected to the information page on this collection, and see the people you have shared it with.
- You can repeat this process for any number of collaborators.
- To terminate the sharing, you can click the 'trash can' icon next to the invitee on the screen.
- To see all collections you have shared, go to 'Endpoints' in the left bar, then 'Shareable by You'.
Information for your collaborators
- Your collaborator needs to sign up for a free Globus account for data sharing
- Your collaborator needs to install the Globus Connect Personal client on his/her personal computer if he/she needs to download the data. See this page for more information.
- If you select 'Send Email' to send an email to your collaborator, he/she will get an email including the URL to access the share. Your collaborator can click on the link and log in with the credentials
- Your collaborator can also access to the share by logging into Globus. Navigate to the "ENDPOINTS" on the sidebar and click on 'Shared with You'.